cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andy Stevens" <insomniacpeng...@googlemail.com>
Subject HTML serializer and Content-Type response header
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:51:15 GMT
Hi,

I've got a Cocoon (2.1.7!) based app that I'm moving over from
Websphere 5 to Websphere 6, which includes Chinese text.
Unfortunately, in the new environment all the Chinese characters
appear as garbage, because the browser is using Western (ISO-8859-1)
as the character encoding.  If I switch it over to UTF-8 myself it all
displays fine, but I'm having to do this for every page I request
(which gets tiresome very quickly...)

My HTML serializer is configured with <encoding>UTF-8</encoding> and
the page includes a
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
tag in the <head>.  However, where previously (on WAS 5) the app was returning
under WAS 6.  It looks like the app server is "helpfully" setting a
default charset when none is present.

Now, the HTML serializer must be setting the content type to text/html
(as opposed to text/xml or any other mime type other serializers might
use).  Is it possible to have it also include the encoding, though, as
I assume if there's one explicitly specified in the header WAS 6 will
leave it alone?  Some configuration setting other than the <encoding>,
maybe?

Andy.
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku application