cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: NullPointerException without a stacktrace
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:32:44 GMT
Tobia Conforto pisze:
> Does anybody occasionally get a NullPointerException in the logs,
> without a matching stacktrace?
>
> Like this:
>
> $date ERROR $url [sitemap.handled-errors] ErrorHandlerHelper: Sitemap:
> error calling function $flowscript_func
>     at <map:call> - $sitemap_path
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> And that's it, no Java stacktrace, no flowscript line number, nothing.
> I checked Jetty's standard error too, nothing there.
>
> I'm using Cocoon 2.1.10, and I have %{rootThrowable} in logkit.xconf
> (which is the default.)  Do you think %{throwable} would make any
> difference?  I should mention that this only happens on the production
> server (of course...) so I can't debug as much as I'd like to.
>
> Could this be a bug in one of my components?  I mean, can a bug in a
> custom component (I've written actions, readers, transformers, and a
> input module) cause a bare NPE, without a stacktrace?  Can a bug in
> flowscript (such as calling null Java objects, or calling them the wrong
> way) cause it?

I'm not sure how much will it help you but I noticed such NPEs without Java stracktrace in
situation
when you throw null, exactly this:

   throw null;

And it's wrapped by some other exception. Not sure how exactly reproduce this behaviour but
I'm sure
I've been burnt by something like that.

--
Grzegorz