cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2: Accessing resources (images, css)
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:11:30 GMT
Patrick Heiden pisze:

> Is there some documentation available about necessary steps to get this running? Not
able to
> imagine how static recources within some blocks are visible to later httpd.

Basic information (from ages pre-SSF) on how to setup httpd in front of Cocoon can be found
here:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ApacheModProxy

Some cache related stuff is here:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ControllingModCache

However, these documents suggest to use direct directory access for serving static resources.
My
idea is little bit different. In my opinion httpd should never access Cocoon directories directly

for serving static files but should always use HTTP requests for that.

The flow should be as follows:
   1. Browser asks (for the first time) httpd for /someblock/external/someresource
   2. httpd makes casual HTTP request to Cocoon as it would come from browser. Cocoon (SSF)
      dispatches the request to the right block and sitemap in a block takes care of serving
      requested resource (external/someresource) and sets up cache-related headers (like Expires)
in
      returned response.
   3. Response comes to httpd, it detects that response contains cache-related headers so
it puts
      returned resource into its own cache.
   4. Resources is being served back to browser
   5. Browser asks for the same resource (/someblock/external/someresource) again and there
are two
      possible situations:
        a) cached response in httpd's cache is still valid (the check is being made using
saved
           Expires header) so httpd serves it from its own cache and request *never reaches*
Cocoon
        b) cached response turns out to be invalid (expired) so httpd must ask Cocoon to resend
the
           resource and we are back in situation from point 2.

I hope that now it's clear what I meant. It would be very nice if some could try out this
idea and
share her experiences.

WDYT?

--