cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Patrick Heiden" <patrickhei...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: designing with 22-blocks
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:37:12 GMT
Hello Reinhard!

> <snip/>
>
> Patrick, many thanks for your thoughts. They are well appreciated. As you
> might
> guess, our main problem is the lack of spare time to follow your
> suggestions.

Yes, I am able to imagine and spare time also has to be spend far from any keyboards ;)

> What would you consider being the three most important things about our
> documentation to be improved?

Hmmm...

1) I think, that a theoretical introduction to core-concepts, spring-configurator and servlet-service-framework
on top of any tutorials would be really nice. Cocoons concepts are great, but 'hard' to recognize.
These concepts should reflect differences/commonalities between 2.2 and 2.1.

2) Then it could be a great help for anyone who is going to get started with cocoon, if the
tutorials would be consistent and also well founded, e.g. explain the archetype-contents in
detail before just let anyone use them like in the 'your first app with maven...'. There is
a big gap between theory and practical usage of Cocoon (e.g. some stuff like best practices
- introduce the block-concept within a little fancy example, wich left users with impressions
of what could be achieved with cocoon 2.2 blocks - and this is a lot).

3) There are lots of informations 'outside' the official cocoon-documentation wich should
be included. A new structure reflecting point 1) and 2) also integrating the 'outside'-documentation
would lend users to learn much more, before they spend time asking the mailing-lists with
newbie-stuff (like myself ;) Good structure and sound information could also bring many new
users, because that is main point in many discussions between 'I maybe going to use cocoon'-users.

I tried to think of new users in the first place and I'm hoping that these suggestions are
somewhat clear. Please feel free to ask if not!

Best Greetings,
Patrick