cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Robin Wyles <...@robinwyles.com>
Subject Re: RCL, Session and ClassCastException
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:33:06 GMT

On 29 Dec 2007, at 20:01, Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>>>
>>> The object that you put into the session is loaded by one
>>> classloader and then after a reload you cast it using another one.
>> Correct. A classloader is somewhat like a namespace in xml.
>>  <a:tag/> != <b:tag/>
>> Objects can only be casted if their classes have been loaded by
>> the same classloader. No matter they are maybe loaded from the
>> same class file.

Reinhard, Torsten - thanks for your explanations...

>>> This seems to be a bug in the reloading classloader or the way
>>> how we use it. Unfortunatly I haven't had the time yet to create
>>> a test case that demonstrates the problem in an isolated
>>> environment so that the Commons JCI guys can have a look at this
>>> problem (if it's their problem).
>> This could be changed
>
> That would be really great!!!

I would second this, and if it it can't be done easily I think this
issue with the RCL needs to be highlighted in its documentation.

>> ...but it's a bit of an effort and adds to the complexity.
>
> I think it would be worth changing the implementation because there
> are many people that can't or don't want to avoid the usage of
> sessions.

And also, why should one avoid the usage of sessions? For things like
authentication/access control I'm not sure what alternative I could use.

Thanks,

Robin