cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.2 install
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:21:33 GMT
When you say:
"I wonder why the version number went from 2.1 to 2.2 "
I assume you meant:
I wonder why the version number ONLY went from 2.1 to 2.2"

Basically Cocoon is one of the most conservative software systems
in terms of numbering that I have seen - the fact that we have gone
from version (about) 1.9 to 2.2 in 8 years does not mean there is
nothing happening - quite the contrary in fact - but it does seem
strange to those new to it.

Personally I quite like the Ubuntu system of YY.MM format for their
release numbering; its unambiguous and provides an instant "history"
for the project (of course, Cocoon would have started off, say, as 99.01
and moved on to 00.08 or some such... ;).

>>> David Legg <david.legg@searchevent.co.uk> 2007/12/20 01:21 AM >>>
Hi Fawzib,

The main overview of Cocoon 2.2 can be found on the apache web site. [1]

You should also take a close look at the section titled 'Your first
Cocoon application using Maven 2' [2]

Cocoon 2.2 is radically different but I definitely think it's worth it.
The fact it uses Maven and Spring and makes a decent attempt to
modularize are reasons enough for me to update.

Keep in mind that you no longer get a bucket-load of examples ready to
run once you have built it and the documentation is still very
fragmentary at this stage.  I wonder why the version number went from
2.1 to 2.2 when things have changed so much?

- David.

[1] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/2.2/
[2] http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/dev-docs/2.2/1159_1_1.html