cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: RE : Does CInclude/Include transformers buffer incoming documents ?
Date Sun, 16 Dec 2007 00:52:01 GMT
On 15.12.2007 19:35 Uhr, Boisvert, Eric wrote:

> I agree in principle, this is how cocoon works, in theory. But, for
> example, as soon as one puts an XSLT transformer in the pipeline, the
> document is indeed read completly in memory (in a DOM structure) simply
> because XSLT (XPath) allows to reference any part of the document -
> which force the whole document to buffered in memory prior to execute XSLT.

That's not quite true. Yes, you can write XSLT in a bad way (using
XPaths starting with double slash for example), which indeed forces the
whole document to be loaded. But if you write it in a good way the XSLT
processors have some optimizations to only load the most necessary parts
of the document.

> Now I'm redesigning the architecture and exploring the idea of using
> Cinclude to dispatch WFS queries and I was afraid Cinclude was
> 'buffering' the document in memory

 From the implementation of the CIncludeTransformer: It uses SAX to
stream through the included documents - except when you use the select
attribute. Then it creates a DOM and executes the select on it.

Joerg