cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Starting with Cocoon
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:04:11 GMT
On 18.11.2007 15:05 Uhr, Mansour wrote:

> Now, let's figure out why it was failing. I was following the tutorial
> on http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/howto/howto-html-pdf-publishing.html
> and I obtained the site map contents from their. If the site map was
> missing something, how did you know that this is caused by the contents
> of the cocoon.xconf ??

The cause of problem I can usually get from the error message, that's
probably something you learn with the time.

> This tells me that the sitemap is read before cocoon.xconf, and contents
> of the later has to be initialized by the former ! Am I right ?

It's first the web application with web.xml that get's loaded, then the
CocoonServlet with cocoon.xconf and at the end (per request) the
sitemap.xmap. Why do you think sitemap is read before cocoon.xconf?

Actually both cocoon.xconf and sitemap have their components section
which even became interchangeable in Cocoon 2.1. I think this support
has been dropped or limited in 2.2 as it might be too confusing. And
Cocoon 2.2 has now the blocks which allow local declaration of
components anyway so that this feature in sitemaps is superfluous. Yes,
up to 2.1 cocoon.xconf specifies global components while sitemaps
declare local components. All the stuff in the root sitemap is about
reasonable defaults, you can declare or overwrite them in any sub
sitemap as well.

Joerg