cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Starting with Cocoon
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:54:34 GMT
On 18.11.2007 18:53 Uhr, Mansour wrote:

> For now, maven is not the right choice for me. I need to understand
> every single file before I use it in my projects. If something goes
> wrong, I want to find out why and immediately. I need to know how I can
> utilize it in my work.

I don't want to scare you but I wonder if that will be ever possible
with Maven. To be honest, I have not used Maven often enough to be able
to criticize it in a qualified way. But that's my impression so far.

> I have been looking into Cocoon 2.2 and I am getting ready to build
> another HelloWorld from zero using Cocoon 2.2. However, I find very few
> jars there. Is this again one of maven's trick to make things easier?
> Does it download a different set of jars that are only for this
> template?

Yes, that's how Maven works. You only declare dependencies in your POM
and Maven does the rest for you.

> Can I use these jars in another way, like importing them
> directly into my app?

Yes, of course. Maven is about dependency management in the first place.
It downloads the jars into a repository, you can grab them from there.
As answer to the blog Grek linked [1] I already gave my concerns
regarding Maven [2].

Joerg

[1]
http://danilogurovich.wordpress.com/2007/11/09/struts-vs-cocoon-why-cocoon-lost-the-battle/