cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Mansour <mansou...@yahoo.com>
Subject cocoon 2.3 will NOT be in java - may be in PERL
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2007 00:47:44 GMT

I am newbie to cocoon. I don't understand why the installation have to
be from source. Why not just distribute cocoon as a binary. The good
part about java is that we don't have to build the program, and the
binaries are plat form independent. Building and installing cocoon
somehow reminded me of "make" and "configure" in the old days of C/C++.

Another interesting question. I understand that cocoon is great and it's
used for "separation of concerns" and ... and , and many other things,
and with little efforts and coding, it can even do my laundry and walk
my dog and make pizza for me. But seriously, what is't for? I have built
the war file, and had a look at the samples, but didn't see any thing
different. Again, I don't wanna get anyone mad, and I agree it's the
perfect technology, but where does it fit ? I can do every thing  in the
samples with different XSLT's. SO what's the big deal?

About the tutorials, can I get started without using maven. Why do I
need to learn maven before I learn cocoon.
The reason I need to know more about cocoon, because I was working the
other day with jetspeed, and then I started to play with apache lenya
which depends on cocoon. So I decided to have a look at cocoon, and know
I find myself in front of another tool (maven). Will this chain ever
end?? The bottom line, is there any "plain cocoon tutorial" ? If not,
any advice about how to start without having to read the source code  ;)