cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: .DOC and .PPT modifying
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:14:23 GMT
On 10/19/07 4:50 AM, Derek Hohls wrote:
> "In the worst case scenario you might have to write a piece of
> Java code to encode the images as an XML fragment in the same
> way as the format requires... no big deal."
>
> Does it not make sense to add this functionality into the Cocoon core;
> at least for handling common formats such as JPEG, PNG etc.  This
> type of encoding is going to become more widespread (if it is not
> already) with the rise of OO and M$ use of XML-based encoding.

Actually it is not since they both have now a ZIP file format with the
resources included in their native format. They are no longer
base64-encoded.

And what exactly do you have in mind? base64-Encoders exist and don't
need to be provided by Cocoon. Anything for transforming them makes no
sense. The only thing I can imagine is for including (i.e. cinclude,
xinclude, etc.) not only text and XML, but also binary stuff which gets
base64-encoded. Maybe there was no need for it up to now.

Joerg