cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: recommended way to keep local config modifications separate from Cocoon distributions
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:00:38 GMT
On 9/25/2007 3:18 PM, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Lars Huttar pisze:
>
>> Hello,
>> We've been using Cocoon for a few years now. We've made lots of our own
>> modifications to cocoon.xconf (and the top-level sitemap).
>> Now whenever we want to update Cocoon, the changes to cocoon.xconf from
>> the update are very difficult to merge with our own changes without
>> breaking Cocoon.
>>
>> What is the recommended way to keep local configuration changes separate
>> from changes in the distribution?
>> Does the method described at
>> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cocooninaction/14.html really work
>> well?
>> (using Ant and its XPatch task)
>>

> >From what you said I guess you are talking about Cocoon 2.1.x. Handling of configuration
was one of
> the most annoying weakness of 2.1.x that make me interested in 2.2 some really long time
ago.
> Techniques that you refer to worked for me to some extent and they seem to be the best
options for
> 2.1.x.
>
> Anyway, I strongly recommend taking a look at Cocoon 2.2 that is a major leap when it
comes to
> modularization and configuration handling of applications based on Cocoon.

I appreciate the recommendation. I will be interested to look into
Cocoon 2.2.
However, production applications for our organization are running on
Cocoon. Can I justify the risk of using an alpha version of Cocoon for
production apps?
Is Cocoon 2.2 to be released soon? (I found a blog entry from Sylvain
from March 2005 saying "it's very likely that the pressure will grow for
a release in the coming months...")
Also, does Cocoon 2.2 have sufficient documentation (both in general,
and regarding configuration handling)? Can you point me to documentation
on configuration handling?

Thanks,
Lars