cocoon-users mailing list archives

From joa...@verona.se
Subject Re: How to limit number of instances of component?
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:36:39 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakowski@apache.org> writes:

> joakim@verona.se pisze:

> I hope that you use caching so every thumbnail is generated only once. Do you?

I currently dont, but that might be implemeted in the future.  Caching
wont solve my basic issue in the long run though.  I will need
dynamically generated thumbnails for users that are sight impaired,
and might need various filters that improve visibility for them on a
individualy tweakable basis.

>> I want something like a queue rather than a pool.
>
> I suspect that you use Cocoon 2.1, right?

No, cocoon 2.2.

> Your question is quite interesting and I don't have any simple solution off the top of
my head. Not
> so simple but most elegant would be to implement processing queue for particular pipeline
in
> o.a.c.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline#process() method.
>
> After quite simple implementation you could use something like:
> <map:pipeline>
>   <map:parameter name="processInQueue" value="true"/>
>   <map:parameter name="maxSimultaneousProcessings" value="5"/>
>
>   [put your reader here]
> </map:pipeline>

That sounds quite interesting.

Im currently thinking of adding some hack in the imageop resize
operator, something like a counter mutex that halts processing of the
raster until the counter is low. (I dont quite remember how to do
stuff like that in Java so I would have to look it up)

> I think it's worth to wait for other ideas before implementing this.

ok.