cocoon-users mailing list archives

From solprovi...@apache.org
Subject Re: Lenya and Cocoon 2.2
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:07:00 GMT
On 7/8/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
> solprovider@apache.org pisze:
> When it comes to mentioning Cocoon 2.2 on Cocoon's home page you must know that refreshed
site is prepared that uses completely new design
> and publishing mechanisms. Thus old site is untended. Official Cocoon 2.2 release is
almost here:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.devel/73899 (Reinhard is little busy so
we may need to wait a few more days to have an
> official announce)

I have a fork of Lenya, officially recognized as 1.3.  There have only
been very minor contributions from others.  I should returning to
working on it soon.  (The last 12 months have been very busy.)  I will
upgrade the dependencies before I start working.  Cocoon 2.2 will be
ready?

> > Java 1.6 has several standard features that will make Cocoon much
> > simpler (like the compiler API.) Cocoon releases twice each year.
> > Does the Cocoon project upgrade the dependencies while developing a
> > release?  Is Java 1.6 even being considered?  (I hope not because I
> > need Cocoon to run with Java 1.4 for two projects.)
>
> There was debate on development list about Cocoon's 2.2 compatibility with Java 1.4.
Even though, that many developers (including me) wanted
> to make Cocoon 2.2 compatible with Java 1.5+ we could not agree and as for now Cocoon
2.2 is supposed to work with Java 1.4.

> Can you explain how you see Java's compiler API making Cocoon much simpler? It's not
so obvious for me.

> Grzegorz Kossakowski

There is a difference with being compatible with Java 1.5 and 1.6 and
requiring one of those versions.  Compatibility means the program will
compile and run properly using later versions.  Sun claims forward
compatibility always exists, but maintains lists of changes that may
be required when upgrading.  Lenya does not fully work if compiled
with Java 1.5.

New features cannot be used until the new version becomes a
requirement.  I found issues compiling classes using Java 1.4's assert
command because the Java 1.4 compiler needs "-source 1.4".  The Java
1.4 compiler does not understand Java 1.5's generics.  Java 1.6's
compiler API cannot be used without requiring Java 1.6.

Cocoon dynamically compiles classes.  I cannot know using Java 1.6
will simplify this functionality without research and probably
programming it, but using standard functions should be simpler than
custom code and would remove two libraries.

solprovider