cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: Cocoon database access strategy
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2007 16:00:38 GMT
If you feel annoyed or irritated, don't, because

1) I was merely joking
2) I do agree with you to quite some extend

I just wouldn't write one single sql statement, that is all (don't take this one to serious
either :-) )

Regards Ard

What a great idea - 20 years ago (or even 10) it might have occurred to me! Of course, Cocoon
wasn't even dream't of then. Your tongue-in-cheek joke is much appreciated but it does reflect
the machismo in the industry where guys (and it is invariably young'ish men) who compete to
invent the most involved solution to a simple requirement. Unfortunately, sometimes such heroics,
undermine the efforts of the 'rest of us'. Those who just want to get the job done in the
simplest way in the shortest amount of time with the greatest prospect of some other dumb
schmuck understanding what we did. As I'm sure you recognise, the latter approach is not a
mark of laziness, but a good heuristic to reducing the total cost of corporate software development
over the lifetime of it's use. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!