cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jsr 168 portlets in cocoon
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:14:49 GMT
Conoly, Brett wrote:
> I’ve been trying to implement a jsr 168 portlet in cocoon and I’ve had a
> hard time following the wiki at
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/JSR168Portlet?highlight=%28copletdata%2Fportal.xml%29
>

> I’m using cocoon v 2.1.9, tomcat v 5.5.23 and I’ve followed the wiki as
> much as I could so far.  The problem I seem to be having is that cocoon
> cannot find my portlet.  In the wiki it says:
>
> To integrate the portlet into the Cocoon sample site:
>
> ·         **copletdata/portal.xml**:
>
> o        After the CocoonPortlet definition add:
>
> <code>
>
>    <coplet-data id="RssPortlet" name="standard">
>
>       <title>RssPortlet</title>
>
>       <coplet-base-data>Portlet</coplet-base-data>
>
>       <attribute>
>
>          <name>portlet</name>
>
>          <value xsi:type="java:java.lang.String" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">RssPortlet.RssPortlet</value>
>
>       </attribute>
>
>       <attribute>
>
>          <name>buffer</name>
>
>          <value xsi:type="java:java.lang.Boolean" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">true</value>
>
>       </attribute>
>
>    </coplet-data>
>

> </code>
>

> If someone can I’d like more of an explination of what the portlet
> attribute actually is and what it’s looking for.  I think I’ve narrowed
> the problem down to this for now and I’m stuck.

The portlet attribute is pointing to your portlet, it is the webapp name
of your portlet
(in this case RssPortlet) followed by a dot followed by the portlet id
(which happens to be RssPortelt as well).

Apart from this configuration you need to propertly deploy the portlet
into tomcat as mentioned on the page. Usually the most common problem
are classpath problems. You have to put the portlet-api and pluto jars
into the tomcat common directory and delete it from the
cocoon/web-inf/lib dir.

The best approach to test things is to follow these instructions (taken
from the cocoon portal sampe page)
- Get the Pluto project (1.0.x) and install it into Tomcat (Test Pluto now)
- Install Cocoon as a web application in Tomcat and remove the Pluto
webapp. Please note, that it is currently not possible to start Cocoon
directly from a war file; it has to be expanded.
- Remove the pluto-*.jar and the portlet-api-*.jar from the Cocoon
WEB-INF/lib directory.

If you now start the cocoon portal sample, you should see the pluto
sample jsr portlets on the jsr tab (after login)

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org