cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robin Rigby" <ro...@gondolier.org.uk>
Subject RE: Namespace: behaviour differences
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:53:36 GMT
Thanks.  That is how I understood it.  I had not seen the term
'prefix-independent' before.

Robin Rigby
robin@gondolier.org.uk
http://www.gondolier.org.uk
07785 765017

-----Original Message-----
From: Grzegorz Kossakowski [mailto:gkossakowski@apache.org]
Sent: 18 July 2007 19:32
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: Re: Namespace: behaviour differences

Robin Rigby pisze:
> Grzegorz
>
> Can you recommend a tutorial or other info for prefix-independent XSLT?

I'm not sure if such tutorial would exist because if you write stylesheets
using standard techniques they are prefix-independent. You make
your stylesheet relying on namespace prefix if you use name()[1] function
instead of local-name()[2].

Even if you reference elements in stylesheet using prefix it's defined in
that stylesheet _locally_. It means that you could use different
prefixes (pointing to the same namespace, of course) in processed XML and
XSL stylesheet and it should work.

I think it's crucial to understand that prefix is defined locally and is not
part of element's name but only element's expanded name.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#function-name
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#function-local-name

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski