cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "warrell harries" <warrell.harr...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon database access strategy
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:19:51 GMT
Hi Ard,

I understand your comic sarcasm and I think I know where you are coming from
;-) In the final analysis, it seems to depend on where you place the centre
of gravity of your application at the outset. If you start building an
Object based system and then add persistence you are probably always going
to have to write business logic in Java and use an OR framework to map this
onto a a relational DB. However, most Enterprise systems start with an ER
Model . Various hybrid systems grow around the central DB so it makes sense
to gravitate toward the Enterprise DB for all sorts of engineering and
political reasons. One size does not fit all and in the world of CMS I can
imagine that your approach works for you and your customers. I was just
trying to advise those (possibly the majority0 of Cocoon developers who are
trying to develop relatively small internal Web-applications that work with
Enterprise data. For that kind of thing I endorse the SQLTransformer, JDBI,
FlowScript approach.

Regards