cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Cocoon database access strategy
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2007 07:01:53 GMT
Rob

I too have a copy of the "Cocoon developers handbook"; it occupies
a nice niche on my bookshelf. :-)

Unfortunately, Cocoon is a live framework, not a static language.
The handbook was published in 2003, which means it was probably
written in 2002 ie. 5 years ago.  If, according to a popular
reckoning,
one month of "Internet time" equals three months of "real time",
then the book is 15 years old!  Things move on - fast - during that
time.

More especially, there was a lot of development around the use of
flow and JXtemplates, effectively replacing XSP as the preferred
way for "scripting logic" (of course, be aware that "serious"
Cocoon developers will insist that ALL logic belongs in Java classes).

Suggest you look at newer version of Cocoon, and the samples,
(eg. the "Easy SQL database access" sample in blocks/forms)
as well as some of the more recent documents on the above topics.
This comes up a lot on the mailing list too!

Derek Hohls wrote:
> "XSL and Database Actions are deprecated"
>
> As far as I know, XSL is not deprecated - perhaps you meant XSP?
> But I am not sure that is deprecated... perhaps one of the
developers
> could address the plans for that technology - will it still be
supported
> in
> versions 2.2 and beyond?

XSP's deprecated ?
I recently red a book "Cocoon developers handbook"  where esql embedded

in xsp's
is teached...

I am astonished about the rapid deprecation of cocoon 'techniques' , I

think I can better
fallback to C, xsltproc and some scripting glue logic :-)

So where do I put my esql now?

Rob

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice