cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Dev at weitling <d...@weitling.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon Forms vs. JSF
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:03:43 GMT

>>  And there are only really two technologies here: XML/XSLT
>> and Javascript.  But if you
>>
>> don't know either of these, then I agree that Cocoon can be
>> difficult to assimilate...
>>

> Wait a minute - a form definition uses a different XML schema than the view
> template and the sitemap and the Flowscript is even an entirely different
> language. That's a mix of four schemes/grammars for one form and you have to
> know all of them.

Well, hm :-)
This is because they describe different aspects of a form. i.e. the
definition (what kind of data is hold and how is it validated), the
template (how is the data presented) and the binding (which model field
corresponds to which form field for loading and saving). But
nevertheless they are all processed with XSL-T.
It would be easier to have a kind of automagic form file generator. But
for most purposes it's more work in typing than in thinking when
creating these files ;-)
And the sitemap is for getting the right chain/pipeline to a request may
it be sent from outside or inside (getting those
definition/template/binding-files).

As I said: It seems more work to split it up in those myriad of files
but if you see it all mixed up like in JSP...

Florian