cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon Forms vs. JSF
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:26:31 GMT
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding, but I'm having a hard time
understanding your question. JSF is essentially the controller in MVC -
your faces config identifies the view states to go to based upon the
view state you are currently in and the outcome of some actions. JSF
provides no specific view handler, but defaults to use JSPs with special
tag libraries. Interestingly, almost no one recommends using that. I
work with several applications that use JSF with facelets and it works
OK. We use JSF to build JSR-168 portlets.

Cocoon, on the other hand, in my opinion is best used as the view
handler. I have a very large Cocoon application that uses the Cocoon
portal to manage the site layout and aggregate various pieces together,
many of which are XML content. Cocoon is fairly efficient in doing this,
largely because it makes extensive use of caching. For the controller
you can certainly use flow, and many folks here do, but if I was writing
an application that needed more than a primitive controller (which the
Cocoon sitemap provides) I would prefer to use something like Spring
WebFlow instead.

I have to wonder why you would say that you don't need continuations if
you are considering JSF?  JSF is very heavy and its benefits really only
come into play if you have an application that has multiple paths
through several screens. It uses something similar to continuations to
keep track of what the current view state is.

I'm afraid I don't quite grasp teh question about reparsing. Are you
suggesting using JSF with Cocoon as the view handler? (The JSF block
demonstrates that that can be done).

Ralph