cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "bart remmerie" <remme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cocoon Productivity
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 10:14:28 GMT
I've been a 'jojo' cocoon user for some years now and a convinced addict.
The learning curve is rather steep, but with nices 'plateaus': repeated
steps of steep learning followed by rather easy mass-production.

What has frustrated me the most are 2 things:
lack of evident documentation &
upgrading

With lack of evident documentation, I basically mean the existence of docs
that go just that one step further.  for example, in CForms, explaining the
insert-bean stuff just a little bit more than just a couple of lines in the
documentation. Now you have to combine a lot of sources: mailing lists,
wiki, docs, api-docs, ... It's true that the user who persists learns a lot
about cocoon when trying to find out everything by her/himself, ... but
'easy to use' should be replaced by something like 'satisfying to learn on
your own'.

Upgrading to a next version has never been a smooth process so far.  I'm
currently using 2.1.10 and the YourCocoonBasedProject ant scripts from the
wiki.  One day, I'll shift to 2.2, but so far, trying to set it up out of
curiosity has brought me nothing but frustration.
As a cocoon user, learning yet another framework (Maven) is not what I'm
looking for.  If is can make development easier, I'm interested to learn,
but please explain the benefits & basics to get people going before pushing
them into a direction (they didn't ask for in the first place).
Or replace the 'easy to use' by 'easy to use, ... if you are an experienced
user of spring, maven and other related frameworks like hibernate, ...)

If cocoon has the ambition to be used, please pay attention to what the
(potential) user wants (and documentation might be just one of the
priorities).

Bart