cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robby Pelssers" <...@agp.nl>
Subject RE: Problem with tuning JVM (high CPU load)
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 07:12:32 GMT
Hi Ralph,

We are indeed running in a 64 bit JVM.  Thanks for the tip. Anyway, as
soon as we discover what is causing this problem, I will feedback to
this list!!

Robby

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Ralph Goers [mailto:Ralph.Goers@dslextreme.com]
Verzonden: woensdag, mei 2007 9:06
Aan: users@cocoon.apache.org
Onderwerp: Re: Problem with tuning JVM (high CPU load)

Robby Pelssers wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we have cocoon2.1.10 running on a solaris(OS version5.8).  The server
> has 16G of memory and 2 processors (sparcv9 processors operating at
> 900 MHz). Cocoon is running on tomcat/4.1.24.
>
> After a while we see our CPU increasing to about 94% and the system
> becomes non-responsive.  Could anybody point to what we look for?  We
> can't trace the problem back from the tomcat loggings.
>
> Cheers,
> Robby Pelssers

Are you running in a 64 bit JVM?  If not, then you aren't using much of
that 16G.  However, I doubt the amount of memory has much to do with
this.

I experienced something similar to this a year and a half ago.
Periodically a thread would go into a loop. We had several problems that

made the problem diagnosis difficult.

The way our operations folks handled this was they wrote scripts that
were able to detect when a cpu suddenly spiked and when that happened
they immediately did a kill -3 to get a java dump and then killed the
application and restarted it. Once the other problems were fixed it was
easy to tell what the real problem was as that stack trace always showed

up in the thread dump.

HTH
Ralph