cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Custom Cocoon 2.2 projects: Alternatives to Maven 2
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 16:05:34 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>> On 22.05.2007 13:55, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>> Compared with JSF and Struts Cocoon is very different. This means
>>> that you have to learn to think in Cocoon (btw, the same is true for
>>> frameworks like Tapestry or Wicket). Without good documentation it is
>>> very difficult to learn this way of thinking and hence my reasoning
>>> that we need better docs.
>>
>> The annoying in the original post [1] is that the main reason for his
>> frustration seems to be Maven and not necessarily Cocoon itself.
>
> yes, Maven 2 is IMHO an even more complex beast than Cocoon (and I mean
> 2.1 here!). Since I've been involved in two big projects (Cocoon 2.2 and
> one commercial project) that migrated to Maven 2, I've learnt to
> appreciate the power of Maven 2 but I remember how difficult it was to
> learn how Maven 2 works and how to solve real-world problems.
>
> How can we help our upcoming 2.2 users? IMO there are two approaches
> which should be followed in parallel:
>
>  1) make the usage of Maven 2 as simple as possible
>     - the tutorials take this into account
>     - we provide different archetypes
>
>  2) offer an alternative to Maven 2
>
> Option one is clear and is nearly finsihed. My question is regarding to
> option 2: What do you expect, when you download Cocoon 2.2 in order to
> get your new Cocoon 2.2 project started?
>
> Keep in mind that Cocoon 2.2 is split into a core and several blocks
> (template, forms, etc.). All of them are separate release artifacts and
> in contrast to Cocoon 2.1 they can and will be shipped as binaries
> again. (Note that I'm not talking about samples, that's something
> different.)

Just some unstructured thoughts:

What about creating a zip containing the result of the cocoon archetype
run? People could use this as a starting point for own projects without
maven. Adding blocks should then just be adding the jar which is
available for download.
The final step would be a document how to build your own block without
maven, perhaps someone could come up with an ant script doing this stuff.

Carsten