cocoon-users mailing list archives

From ypomonh <ypom...@freemail.gr>
Subject Re: Cocoon Productivity
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 13:53:51 GMT
(note: just started using cocoon 3 months ago)

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Without good documentation it is very difficult to learn this way of
> thinking and hence my reasoning that we need better docs.

Although the basic concepts of cocoon seem appealing, the learning curve
was/is very hard for me:

- Books were written before flow and many of the described patterns of
usage may not be advisable anymore.
- Online documentation scarce (only cocoon site+wiki, no third-party)
- Even for elementary stuff I have to bother the list (btw thanks
everybody!).

> Furtunatly Cocoon 2.2 isn't far anymore (the release of the first
> release candidate should happen next week) and some of us are working
> on a relaunch of the Cocoon website which will come together with a
> major overhaul of our documentation.

IMHO some efforts towards new tooling would be helpful. There is an old
eclipse plugin for sitemap editing somewhere out there.

> Then we will see if our diagnosis concerning the technical problems
> and my assessment of the importance of documentation was correct.

I strongly support your "assesment" :)

Regards,
ypomonh