cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Dev at weitling <d...@weitling.net>
Subject Re: Further information needed on cform binding
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 15:50:40 GMT
Hi Jason,

working sundays, too ;-)

>> I want to reach the higher level of cform binding zen, but can't find
>> enough information.
>> The questions bothering me are at least:
>> - What does e.g. <fb:value id="id" path="@id"/> mean? Does it make any
>> sense in Java-binding?
>
> I believe that in Java binding, path="id" and path="@id" are equivalent.
>
> You can find a lot of information about the details of how the binding
> works from the documentation on the JXPath site:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jxpath/ -- JXPath is what interprets
> the path attribute to traverse whatever object you're binding to/from,
> so understanding how JXPath works will help you understand the binding
> framework.

Thanks, I will have a look at it after this posting.

>> - Imagine I have an object containing three lists: The first holds
>> information which key items are displayed and in which order. The others
>> have data handled by two repeaters which should display according to the
>> order of their keys in the first list. I have a knot in my brain till
>> now...
>
> It sounds to me like you actually want to have your form definition
> and binding XML be dynamically generated using the first list; then
> when the binding is executed it doesn't have to do anything special
> since the repeater widgets already line up with the keys.

No, sorry, it's a bit difficult to explain. The web site shall contain a
table like structure. From left to right the columns represent different
languages. From top to bottom there's first a row containing a question
followed by one or more answers. If the user removes/adds/reorders the
languages this should be done for the questions as well as for the
answers, meaning the language order of the question list has to be the
same as that of the answers (which are - to make it worse - put it a
nested list, too).
The simplified structure:
question object (Q) containing
- a list of question languages (QL)
- a list of localized question texts (QD)
- a list of answer objects (A) containing each
    - a list of localized answer texts (AD)

>> - How to do it when I have a HashMap (key -> data) and I want to display
>> the keys as well as their data?
> Can you give more details... doesn't the binding already have to know
> the key to get at the value?

Besides Cocoon & Co. I can let me show the list of keys and after look
up with ech key its value.

Let me know if I should be more precise.

Thanks and greetings,
Florian