cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: (newbiew) Determine program flow
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 20:27:41 GMT
ypomonh@freemail.gr napisaƂ(a):
> Grzegorz I do it through the SQL transformer:
>

> ###### map ######
> <map:pipeline>
> 	<map:match pattern="checkParameters">
>   <map:generate src="sql/checkParameters.xml"/>
> 	<map:transform type="sql">
> 	<map:parameter name="rid" value="{request-param:rid}"/>
> 	</map:transform>
> 	<map:serialize type="xml"/>
> 	</map:match>
> </map:pipeline>
>
> ###### query ######
> <document xmlns:sql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/2.0">
>  <sql:execute-query>
>   <sql:use-connection>datamed</sql:use-connection>
>   <sql:query>
>   SELECT * FROM report_parameter_map WHERE  report_id = '<sql:substitute-value name="rid"/>'
>   </sql:query>
> </sql:execute-query>
> </document>
I see. SQL transformer is intended to be used in linear flows. I mean
that you cannot choose pipeline execution depending on sql transformer
result. You have two options:
1. Maintain your conditional processing in XSL file (produce content
depending on result of sql transformer)
2. Use flowscript in conjunction with some library/framework for
accessing DB. May it be Hibernate, JDBI or plain JDBC. For JDBI, take a
look at Forms samples to see how to use it.

First option is hacky and, in general, bad idea if your cases are really
different depending on data from DB. The advantage of this method is
that you don't have to learn anything new and quickly get desired
results. Use it only if it's only exceptional need for such solution.

Second option requires more knowledge but in long-term it results in
better design and separation of concerns that is really important
concept in Cocoon. If you need simple DB access I suggest using JDBI as
it's really simple and you have an example of integration with Cocoon,
already.

Hope that helps you a little. Feel free to ask further.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski