cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Merdes, Matthias" <mer...@hdm-international.com>
Subject AW: Cocoon Productivity - porting to c2.2 or to another web framework?
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 07:49:41 GMT
hi,

i agree with the last post.
both, better documentation and tool support are very much needed.

we are currently in a situation where we have to decide what to do with our cocoon 'legacy'
app:
-port to cocoon 2.2 (we want spring in the service layer anyway)
-port to another web framework altogether (struts, spring mvc/webflow, tapestry, wicket, rife,
what have you)
(staying with the old avalon-based architecture is not an option)

this is obviously a very hard decision involving a lot of risk and effort.
from my point of view the lack of
-internal documentation (getting started with with c2.2, how to migrate to c2.2 etc)
-third-party technical articles
-recent books, especially for c2.2 (there is a german one announced for fall...)
is a major issue.
the same holds for eclipse tool support.
there used to be some old plugins for the 2.1.x version but they don't seem to be maintained
any more...

a recent post mentioned the issue of winning new users for cocoon.
however, keeping legacy users from migrating to competing frameworks should be considered
as well.

cocoon is no doubt extremely powerful and flexible.
it would be a pity if this power could only be understood and hence used by a few initiated
people (basically the committers) because of the lack of documentation and general visibility
in the broader java/web community.

the very responsive, informed, and helpful mailing list is a big plus (thanks to everyone
contributing)
but imho cannot be used as a replacement for proper documentation.
any feedback on this, especially the documentation and tool support issues would be much appreciated.

thanks
regards
matthias

  |  -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----