cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: JCA mit Cocoon
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:23:36 GMT
On 26.04.2007 18:02, hap2000@gmx.net wrote:
> I am looking desperately for a way to use a JCA-conform ressourceadapter from within
my cocoon application.
> Is there any known way to connect via such a ressource adapter for example deployed on
a BEA Welogic Server to a datasource.
> Anything not using JCA is rejected by our company standards.

Cocoon has no direct support for JCA, but I don't think it needs it. You
can use JCA though. It heavily depends on your overall architecture. For
JCA you need a so called managed environment. When you use Bea Weblogic
you probably have one and you can use its transaction and connection
management capabilities. The most standard way is to retrieve such a
managed datasource via JNDI and nothing prevents you doing this inside
Cocoon. But personally I prefer a clearer separation between a web layer
(Cocoon) and a service layer (your services developed maybe as EJBs),
where on the services the transaction boundaries are demarcated.

I set up such a system with a more light-weight environment without a
full-blown JEE container. Cocoon is used in the web layer, Spring in the
service layer, Geronimo Connector and Geronimo Transaction for
connection and transaction management and Jencks for the integration of
the Geronimo stuff into Spring.

So while Cocoon has no special support of or integration with JCA, you
can use it though.

Hope it helps,
Joerg