cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Ard Schrijvers" <a.schrijv...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: including multiple xml files into transformation
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 09:35:57 GMT

> Mark Lundquist wrote:
> > The use of document() in Cocoon is discouraged, because it doesn't
> > play nice with cache validity.  If the content supplied by the
> > included resource changes, Cocoon has no way of knowing it and will
> > serve stale content from the cache.
>
> What if I only reference static files, as in document('data.xml'), and
> not Cocoon urls?  I just did a test and there doesn't seem to be any
> cache problem, probably because the XSLT processor reads the file from
> disk every time.

You should have the same problem as Mark already described. My two cents about your things,
is that you aren't caching the result at all, therefor changing the stylesheet does take affect
(do you caching pipeline and are all used components cacheable, at least all before the xsl
transformation?)

> Is this kind of usage discouraged/inefficient?

Well, if your file on disk never changes anymore after deployment, it is not really a problem.
Though, when your cocoon cache works, every change in this file implies you have to empty
the cache to have the change take effect. So yes, IMO, I would discourage it very much. Inefficient,
perhaps during development because of clearing the cache, but not on pruduction

Ard