cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Lars Huttar <lars_hut...@sil.org>
Subject Re: Running Cocoon in debugger
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 15:49:38 GMT
On 1/4/2007 8:19 AM, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Lars Huttar napisaƂ(a):
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm trying to run Cocoon in a debugger, as is often suggested in
>> answers to queries on this list.
>> The instructions I've found are at [1] and [2]. Nothing I've tried
>> works. I'd appreciate any help.
>>
>> (FYI: I'm using Windows XP, Cocoon 2.1.7, and Tomcat 5.5.9.)
>>
>> Method (1): using Jetty
>> The first method, "cocoon.bat servlet-debug" (as recommended in [1]),
>> appears to start OK. But when you try to browse to
>> http://localhost:8000/, the browser gives the error:
>>
>>    No context on this server matched or handled this request.
>>    Contexts known to this server are:
>>        * WebApplicationContext[/,.\build\webapp]
>>    The links above may not work if a virtual host is configured
>>
>> Going back to baseline, I discovered that it fails the same way
>> regardless of whether you use "cocoon.bat servlet-debug" or just plain
>> "cocoon servlet".
>> I googled on the error message but couldn't find anything that helped
>> me solve the problem. Nor could I find any jetty logs with errors.
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
> The easiest method is the first one. Your mistake is that you try to
> browse on port 8000 instead of 8888. Port 8888 is used to communicate
> with browser, 8000 one is reserved for communication between Java VM and
> debugger. So if you are in debug mode you should still use 8888 and
> configure your favorite debugger with localhost (as host) and 8000 as port.
> I really recommend using Eclipse for debugging. I find this IDE the best
> one on the earth and debugging with it is damn easy :-)
> But do not shy to ask even basic questions about Eclipse related
> debugging Cocoon/your project. At the beginning, not everything have to
> be obvious.

Thanks for your quick reply. You are right of course about the port number.
However the :8000 was just an email typo. When browsing to
http://localhost:8888/, the browser gives the above error ("No context
on this server matched or handled this request"). Browsing to
http://localhost:8000/ actually gives no error but causes Jetty to shut
down.

So, I still have the same problem.
When I browse to http://localhost:8888/, Jetty outputs the following
message to the console:
    09:44:51.166 EVENT  Started HttpContext[/]
So I know Jetty is to some degree "catching" the request.
Also, I neglected to mention that the heading above "No context on this
server matched..." was "Error 404 - Not Found."

If I don't find a solution for debugging with Jetty, I may try Eclipse
as you suggest. The headache there is that if I really do have to
maintain a SVN working copy of Cocoon for debugging, I will have to keep
manually updating it with changes from my development copy of Cocoon, in
which I have cocoon.xconf and some other Cocoon config files tracked by
our internal SVN repository. Is it possible to use Eclipse to debug
Cocoon without involving Subclipse?

Regards,
Lars