cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Reijn <j.re...@hippo.nl>
Subject Re: set a session attribute in the sitemap
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 22:03:03 GMT
Mark,

Mark Lundquist wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Jeroen Reijn wrote:
>
>> Hmm I was a little bit to fast with the trigger :-)
>>
>> I mean that it should become
>>
>> <map:act type="session-propagator">
>>  <map:parameter name="example1" value="xxx"/>
>> </map:act>
>
> Hmmm, I don't think so...  In your example, the action is configured
> with the name "setteraction".  Maybe you got mixed up because in your
> reply to Kai Munz' original question, you gave an example using the
> SessionPropagatorAction, and in that example the component was
> configured with the name "session-propagator"?

Well if I look back at my emails, I'm afraid that the emails are meant
the way I wanted them. Both session-propagator emails were a reply to
the part where Roel had problems with a 'namespace not defined' error in
his sitemap after trying the SessionPropagatorAction with a parameter.

The one about the SetterAction was meant for you in reply about the
sitemap usage model of the SetterAction.

> Anyway, it looks to me like there are 3 ways to do this now:
>
> 1) A specialized SessionPropagatorAction;
>
> 2) A more general SetterAction which can can be configured from a
> hard-coded set of "modes" (session, request, object model);
>
> 3) A very general PropagatorAction that is configured with an OutputModule.
>
> #3 is the way that I have always used.
>
> It also looks like none of these ways conveys any advantage over the
> others at the point of use (in the pipeline).  Do you agree?  IMHO #1
> and #2 should be deprecated!

Well I agree that having three different ways of accomplishing things is
a bit too much. But looking at the components I think that we could
suggest option #1 to be deprecated, since #1 and #3 are allmost the
same. #2 has one advantage over the other 2 IMO which is that it allows
you to put parameters into the object model.

So if one of these three should be deprecated I would go for #1.

But I guess that for deprecating things we should move the discussion
onto the cocooon-dev list?

WDYT?

Kind regards,

Jeroen Reijn