cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Jeroen Reijn" <j.re...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: XProc?
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 08:53:43 GMT
Hi Lars,

this seems very interesting! I guess this does have to go to the developers list though.
I did not find any reference or participation on the Developers list yet, so I don't think
the Cocoon community is participating yet.
I personally think that the cocoon community should participate in the XML Processing Model
Working Group, since they have a LOT of experience with XML processing and pipeline orders.

Regards,

Reijn

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars Huttar [mailto:lars_huttar@sil.org]
Posted At: Friday, September 29, 2006 8:33 PM
Posted To: Cocoon User List
Conversation: XProc?
Subject: XProc?

Hello Cocooners,

Maybe this is a question for the dev list but...
given the announcement below, that W3C is working on a standard for an XML pipeline language
"to specify the order, parameters, and expected results of transformations in a standard way",
is this something that is likely to make its way into Cocoon?
Should Cocoon support XProc?

Is the Cocoon community contributing to this standardization effort based on our experience
with XML pipelining?

Lars

(From: XML Daily Newslink. Friday, 29 September 2006
A Cover Pages Publication http://xml.coverpages.org/
Provided by OASIS http://www.oasis-open.org
Edited by Robin Cover)

W3C Introduces XProc: An XML Pipeline Language
Norman Walsh (ed), W3C Working Draft

W3C has announced the publication of a First Public Working Draft for
"XProc: An XML Pipeline Language." The draft was produced my members of
the XML Processing Model Working Group as part of the W3C XML Activity.
That working group was chartered to address a range concerns that are
not formally defined in the XML Recommendation itself, for example,
ability to specify the order, parameters, and expected results of
transformations in a standard way. XSLT, XML Schema, XInclude, XML
Canonicalization, and other specifications do define transformations
that operate on and produce XML documents. However, the order in which
these transformations are to be applied is not specified anywhere,
even though applying them in different orders will in general yield
different results. The draft "XProc: An XML Pipeline Language" document
begins to address concerns presented in the W3C "XML Processing Model
Requirements and Use Cases" specification, released in April 2006. From
the XProc Introduction: "An XML Pipeline specifies a sequence of
operations to be performed on a collection of input documents. Pipelines
take zero or more XML documents as their input and produce zero or more
XML documents as their output. Steps in the pipeline may read or write
non-XML resources as well. A pipeline consists of components. Like
pipelines, components take zero or more XML documents as their input
and produce zero or more XML documents as their output. The inputs to a
component come from the web, from the pipeline document, from the inputs
to the pipeline itself, or from the outputs of other components in the
pipeline. The outputs from a component are consumed by other components,
are outputs of the pipeline as a whole, or are discarded. There are two
kinds of components: steps and (language) constructs. Steps carry out
single operations and have no substructure as far as the pipeline is
concerned, whereas constructs can include components within themselves.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xproc/
See also Norm Walsh's blog: http://norman.walsh.name/2006/09/28/xprocfpwd