cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David Legg <david.l...@searchevent.co.uk>
Subject Re: Serving up XHTML?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:02:01 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> All this "producing XHTML which must not conform to XHTML" is really awkward -
> but I know it's necessary for IE.

This is slightly off topic but choosing between using XHTML and HTML
4.01 strict is a real can of worms.  The classic text on this subject is
http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

In summary I don't believe it is a case of use XHTML because it uses XML
and therefore must be better... choose carefully!  Choosing XHTML has
serious implications when it comes to supporting AJAX and for CSS too.
As Cocoon users we are in the privileged position of being able to
dynamically configure what gets sent to the user depending on their
browser... but you have to ask if all the extra work involved in
designing suitable content and all the extra permutation checking is
worth it.

David Legg