cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Winnall <st...@winnall.ch>
Subject Re: accessing sitemap variables from an action
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:35:12 GMT
Perhaps I need to rethink what I am trying to do...

My sitemap is getting to be difficult to manage because I have a lot
of variables which I pass around, so I certainly don't want to
introduce more variables. May of the variables have default values,
but I have found no way of telling the sitemap to use default values
if nothing else is specified. What I wanted was to write an action
called "default-values" which would be called as follows:

<map:act type="default-values">
   <map:parameter name="p1" value="default1" />

	etc.
</map:act>

My idea was to look up the call stack for the first occurrence of
something called "p1" ( {p1}, {../p1}, {../../p1} etc.) and have my
action return its own variable called "p1" which contained the value
found on the stack or, if there was nothing on the stack, the default
value specified in the action. There would be no fixed references to
a particular level.

An example would be

<map:act type="locale">
   <map:act type="default-values">
     <map:parameter name="language" value="en" />

     </map:act>
</map:act>

which would give me "en" as the default language if nothing else had
been specified. All I would be doing would be to access {../language}
read-only from within the action, which is no more than what the
sitemap itself does.

Of course, I may be barking up a gum-tree: if there's a better way of
doing this, I'd be grateful for pointers.

Steve