cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Christofer.Dutz@univativ.de" <christofer.d...@univativ.de>
Subject AW: Handling non XML structures in pipelines?
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:19:16 GMT
Oh gee ... I think it's time fort he weekend. I must have totally misunderstood the original
question ;) ... simply ignore my last post.
Chris

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jason Johnston [mailto:cocoon@lojjic.net]
Gesendet: Freitag, 22. September 2006 15:16
An: users@cocoon.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Handling non XML structures in pipelines?

Antony Grinyer wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Our scenario is simple, we have a service that returns some strings in a
> comma delimited format and we'd like to use that data in cocoon for
> various transformations, however is it possible to do something at the
> generator stage to convert this string into XML or does the source of
> the generator (e.g. file, stream) have to be in an XML format in the
> first place i.e. editing our service application to return XML is the
> only option?
>

> I guess what we're asking is whether cocoon can handle non XML formatted
> data? We do not want our service to depend on the client as to what
> structure we return, such as XML.

Yes, a generator can generate its XML output (SAX events) from any
source.  There are already several generators shipped with Cocoon (see
the org.apache.cocoon.generation package) which parse non-XML sources
into XML events.  In fact there's already a CSVGenerator which you could
use or adapt to your needs.