cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Dev at weitling <...@weitling.net>
Subject Why 3 components handling SQL?
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:40:06 GMT
Hi!

Nearly my last question for today and this even more to the developers
of Cocoon...

Why does Cocoon provide not less than three different ways of handling
SQL queries?
- The Database Reader
- SQL Transformer
- ESQL Logicsheet

Ok, the Database Reader makes sense if you want to retrieve non-XML data.
But why not a schema/namespace/tag soup usable in XSP as well as a
transformer or generator?
Or a component being a generator as well as an transformer?

1st case: I want to retrieve XML data from a SQL database -> generator
passed with the src of the XML file with the query.
2nd case: I have an XSP containing SQL query tags -> transformer
replacing the query tags with their result

Questions, questions, questions ;-)
Florian