cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Steven D. Majewski" <sd...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: Why 3 components handling SQL?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 01:23:50 GMT

On Sep 13, 2006, at 5:40 PM, Dev at weitling wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Nearly my last question for today and this even more to the
> developers of Cocoon...
>
> Why does Cocoon provide not less than three different ways of
> handling SQL queries?
> - The Database Reader
> - SQL Transformer
> - ESQL Logicsheet
>
> Ok, the Database Reader makes sense if you want to retrieve non-XML
> data.
> But why not a schema/namespace/tag soup usable in XSP as well as a
> transformer or generator?
> Or a component being a generator as well as an transformer?
>
> 1st case: I want to retrieve XML data from a SQL database ->
> generator passed with the src of the XML file with the query.
> 2nd case: I have an XSP containing SQL query tags -> transformer
> replacing the query tags with their result
>
> Questions, questions, questions ;-)
> Florian

I can't answer your specific question about SQL, but a more general
comment:

Cocoon is a big, open source system with lots of layers that grew and
absorbed bits of other
projects. Some things are there to support folks migrating from other
systems. Some things
are there because they seemed like a good idea at the time, but maybe
there's a better way
and they haven't been pruned because someone somewhere still uses the
old way.  Some
bits of Cocoon are probably better explained by history and
archaeology than by logic.

That's actually not unusual for large open source systems.

-- Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library