cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Kamal Bhatt <kbh...@tt.com.au>
Subject Re: [poll] Java 5 as minimum requirement for Cocoon 2.2
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:36:45 GMT
Bruce Atherton wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>> Many thanks to everybody, who has participated so far, for your
>> feedback.
>>
>> On dev@cocoon we voted about it and the voting proposal was rejected.
>> The main reason is that large organizations (e.g. banks) are years
>> behind in their usage of new JDK releases and that we haven't found
>> _the_ feature of Java 5 that justifies the switch.
>>

> That is a shame. If this were the only criterion, Cocoon will not be
> able to use the features of Java 5 for 20 years or more. Think how
> many Cobol programmers were fully employed leading up to Y2K. I
> imagine that some banks are still using JVM 1.2 now (and I doubt that
> Cocoon 2.2 is compatible with that).
>
> I have faith that concern for ultra-conservative organizations isn't
> the only consideration the developers are using, though. So have they
> decided what will finally allow a move to Java 5? Just so we know when
> we can look forward to it.

I am finding this conversation very interesting. Mainly because I don't
quite follow the logic. If a company is so backwards that they are still
on JDK 1.3, why on earth would they be using a heavy weight, bleeding
edge system like Cocoon. There are probably good reasons not to go to
Java 5, but I am not sold that the one given is the right one.

I'd be interested to know what companies are banking (pardon the pun) on
Cocoon, but are still in locked in the 1990's. Is there are survey on
Cocoon usage out there?

--
Kamal Bhatt