cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: [poll] Java 5 as minimum requirement for Cocoon 2.2
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 16:21:12 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Many thanks to everybody, who has participated so far, for your feedback.
>
> On dev@cocoon we voted about it and the voting proposal was rejected.
> The main reason is that large organizations (e.g. banks) are years
> behind in their usage of new JDK releases and that we haven't found
> _the_ feature of Java 5 that justifies the switch.

That is a shame. If this were the only criterion, Cocoon will not be
able to use the features of Java 5 for 20 years or more. Think how many
Cobol programmers were fully employed leading up to Y2K. I imagine that
some banks are still using JVM 1.2 now (and I doubt that Cocoon 2.2 is
compatible with that).

I have faith that concern for ultra-conservative organizations isn't the
only consideration the developers are using, though. So have they
decided what will finally allow a move to Java 5? Just so we know when
we can look forward to it.