cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Derek Hohls" <DHo...@csir.co.za>
Subject Re: Action Vs Logicsheet
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 06:54:12 GMT
ML

Obviously Cocoon does offer multiple paths to a solution; and it
seems this debate of what constitutes "good" or even "acceptable"
paths comes up time-and-time again - unfortunately usually when
a relative newcomer wants advice.

The original, seemingly-innocent question was:
 "How I could choose if I need an action or a logicsheet"

And we are now getting to "dispense with the built-in transformers";
and moving to "Go Forth and Learn Hibernate and Spring"!

Sorry - but I do disagree strongly with this; Cocoon by itself has
perfectly competent set of  tools in its tool-box to let you get at
100%
of what you need for 90-95%% of the time... assuming "standard" web
apps. For an average developer, learning Hibernate and Spring is a
MAJOR hurdle and time-investment and, lets be honest here, the
documentation and guidelines to get all these working with Cocoon
is shaky at best.

Somewhere, somehow, this community needs to get a "simple
roadmap for using Cocoon AS IS"  (ie. no plug-ins, add-ons, bonus
frameworks etc. etc.) in place.  My 2c is that this would be a set of
built-in
transformers (SQL, send mail etc) along with flow (and CForms); there
are solid examples of these in place already, which could be extended
further as needed.  Minimal, if any, Java knowledge is needed and you
can be productive relatively quickly.  If this level does not offer the

power/flexibility you need  i.e. you have very demanding requirements
or you'd simply like more toys to  play with, there is a wide scope
beyond this for lots more.

<end_rant/>
Derek

On Aug 1, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Martijn C. Vos wrote:

> Mark Lundquist [mailto:ml@wrinkledog.com] wrote:
>>
>> Note: I would avoid a design that called for any kind of custom
>> transformer that's meant to be used for its side effects... that
>> probably indicates an abuse of the sitemap. Pipelines should be for
>> generating data.
>
> Why?

Good question :-) I started asking myself that, right after I posted
that opinion.

In Cocoon everything is mediated by the sitemap. So there's always a
pipeline, so what difference does it make whether that pipeline invokes

a transformer or dispatches a flow function? It's just one "tag"
(<transform>) vs. another (<call>), so who cares?

To me, some things feel declarative and some things feel imperative.
Declarative things feel like they belong in the sitemap, and imperative

things feel like they belong in flow (or below, in the model layer).
Shoehorning imperative-feeling things into the sitemap feels wrong to
me... so does imperative processing for things that feel like they
should be in the sitemap (or to get rid of the sitemap or make it less

declarative, e.g. "why can't the sitemap just be a script, it would be

so much more flexible"?).

> There are lots of popular transformers that exist almost
> entirely for their side effects: the sql, sendmail, sourcewriting
and
> dasl transformers all exist entirely for their side effects;

Indeed. But notably,

1) Those are all pre-flow solutions that were created before it was
figured out that flow was needed;

2) I don't use 'em... I use Hibernate for all DB stuff, and for sending

mail I use either the Spring mail component, or the Cocoon MailSender
component, called directly from flowscript or from Java (in the model
layer).

3) Just because something exists, doesn't mean much... XSP exists too,

but I wouldn't touch it w/ a ten foot pole (that's 3.048 meters for the

rest of the world :-)

Anyway, like I said that's just what feel right for me, not trying to
be dogmatic...

cheers,
ml

views of the CSIR.