cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Restrict access to parts of sitemap
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:13:06 GMT
On 7/19/06, 321los@gmail.com <321los@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...<map:match pattern="buildIndex">
>         <map:generate src="http://localhost:8080//index.xml
> "/>...

> ...which means every (outside) user could be able to start the index when
> calling buildIndex. I would like to avoid that. Question is: how? ..

The clean and safest way is to use Cocoon's authentication framework
to require authentication before accessing buildindex.

But you could also:

a) check the client's IP address and allow only requests from
localhost to buildindex (if you're using a reverse proxy in front of
Cocoon you'll get this via the X-Forwarded-For header, which you can
check with a WildcardHeaderMatcher, but see
http://bob.pythonmac.org/archives/2005/09/23/apache-x-forwarded-for-caveat)

b) use security by obscurity and use a hard go guess URL instead of
buildindex. It's not really safe but the risks are not very high
either if it's just for index creation

-Bertrand