cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Arje Cahn" <a.c...@hippo.nl>
Subject RE: too many open files
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 08:44:37 GMT
Hi Bokluci,

In case you're running Cocoon on Linux, these are my experiences with the "too many open files"
issue. I used this in the past to raise the number of open files, which might not be the actual
solution to your problem, but at least it will give you some pointers for where to look at.

* login as root user
* check 'ulimit -n', this will show you the current limit of open files
* edit /etc/security/limits.conf:
** soft   nofile   8192
** hard   nofile   65535
* edit /etc/pam.d/sshd:
** session    required   /lib/security/pam_limits.so
* 'ulimit -n 8192' (set limit to 8192)
* 'service sshd restart' (or /etc/init.d/sshd restart)
* logoff
* logon again and check 'ulimit -n', this will show you the new values

The maximum number of open files is limited to the capabilities of the filesystem in use.
You can find the max number for *all processes combined* by doing 'cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max'.
It's normally somewhere between 100.000 and 500.000.
If you set the hard limit in limits.conf to high, you might block the filesystem which makes
the server unreliable and even block SSH shells!! 8192 is a common setting.

Good luck,

----

Kind regards,

Arjé Cahn