cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Justin Fagnani-Bell <just...@fagnani.com>
Subject Re: Getting started again...
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:39:19 GMT
Thanks for the reply Grzegorz,

> Have you seen BricksCMS? [1] It is basically showcase for CRUD
> operations done quite easily in Cocoon.

I'm checking that out right now.

> XSP is being replaced by Template block.

I suppose that's a 2.2 block? I see no docs mentioning it.

> It is refactored and extended version of JX templates (syntax is
> pretty the same) which was back-ported into 2.1.x branch in 2.1.9
> AFAIR. Speaking more precisely, Template cannot do everything XSP
> did. For example there is no ESQLequivalent in Template. Thus this
> responsibility has been carried to Flowscript/Javaflow. So
> flowscript have to prepare model for a view.

That's fine with me, it's a better separation of V and MC, I just
always hated having to really struggle to get XSL to give me the
output I wanted when I could do it much easier in Java. Things like
tables, ordering, color-coding, grouping, etc. Jeni Tennison's XSL
pages helped a lot, but that experience made me appreciate have a
full programming model at my disposal, not a chosen subset
implemented by the template language. And XSL's very powerful
compared to most template languages out there. I guess I'll see with
JXTemplate...

> As there is the desire of devs to release first milestone of the
> most fundamental parts[2] of Cocoon 2.2 it seems reasonable to
> consider 2.2 not 2.1x branch.

>> Also... I've been looking into Spring and Tuscany to help with
>> data access and exposing web services. Should I try to get started
>> with Cocoon 2.2?
> Spring... Spring + Hibernate alternative way of handling data to
> that showed in BricksCMS. It demands more time for learning but
> it's more powerful. Also you should know that Spring became default
> component container in 2.2 so integration is pretty good and tight.
> So yes, Spring is the way to go for the future.

I've been following the dev mailing list for a little while, trying
to get a handle on where Cocoon is heading. I had to get started
though, and seeing how some of the devs had a hard time getting 2.2
up and running I thought I'd go with 2.1.9. If 2.2M1 really is coming
out soon, and is somewhat usable, I'd rather go with that. Spring is
a big plus and I think the only functionality I need is flow,
templates, and maybe forms.

Ok, well thanks for the advice.

-Justin

PS. Arrgh. I sent this first from the wrong email and I hoped the
moderator would catch it. Sorry for the double email.