cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Caching jx with flow (WAS: Is use-store needed when using XSLTC ?)
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:44:01 GMT
Ard Schrijvers napisaƂ(a):
> Hmmm, I hoped my mails would be so clear that it is not needed anymore :-) But your right,
I probably should, but it takes a lot of time and effort to write it down really well....

> Anyway, are there people interested in a document on cocoon caching with best practice
and some examples regarding:

> - The different strategies (noncaching, caching, ecaching/eventcaching, expiring) and
when to use them. Appending some use-cases like "how to cache untill 0:00 hours exactly" ,
and "how to cache an external rss feed properly"

Considering caching RSS feeds. Is there any option to configure cocoon
(maybe by using some source protocol?) to behave like proxy and do not
break the rest of cached content?
Any chance to do conditional gets? [1]
> - How to configure your stores properly "important for keeping you cache clean"
>
> - Some tools to measure performance and caching
>
> - How to cache your jx templates.
>
> - The "watch out's" in configuring your components (for example in your TraxTransformer
setting <use-request-parameters>true</use-request-parameters> can easily bring
your cocoon app down when a crawler comes by )

)

> Above is more or less configuration and examples. Below might be the some more advanced
topics

> - When writing your own cacheable component what to keep in mind (you can easile makes
things 100% cached while regenerating them would be faster)

> - How does the cocoon cache mechanism work (http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/writing/690.html)
>
> - and probably all the other things that come to mind
>

> But, I am not sure how much is already out there in documentation (probably there is
quite a lot, but it is scattered around, outdated, and it is of course in a wiki form which
is basically the equivalent of "cant find the $%#$%@$%@ thing" ), and I am willing to make
one solid "best-practice-regarding-performance", but before that, I want to know if there
is interest in it. It will cost me many (probably of my sparetime) hours to complete this,
and I don't bother, but if this is just basic stuff for everybody, then of course, I am wasting
my time.
I would be very interested in this! It would be also great to explain
how cocoon's cache internal works. Especially, in order to get enough
knowledge to write one's own components. For example, XInclude
transformer seems to be very interesting case.

[1] http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2002/10/21/http_conditional_get_for_rss_hackers

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski