cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Oleg Konovalov <oleg...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: AW: OutOfMemoryError
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:12:04 GMT
Christofer,

Could you please elaborate on "We could have solved this by tweaking the GC settings of the
VM..."
I do not think we have an option of switching to BEA Jrockit VM.
We can only use Sun's JavaVM (1.4.2)

Also I found out (from another dev group) that the primary suspect is a new application
which is not a Cocoon one, but WebWorks.
Any know memory issues for WebWorks apps ?
(I do realize that's a Cocoon mailing list, sorry...  All other apps there are Cocoon ones.)

Thank you,
Oleg.

----- Original Message ----
From: Christofer Dutz <dutz@c-ware.de>
To: users@cocoon.apache.org; Oleg Konovalov <olegkon@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2006 3:50:27 AM
Subject: AW: OutOfMemoryError

              Hi Oleg,

   we encountered similar problems and fortunately found our that these problems were VM related.
I assume you are using a standard Sun JDK installation (This was the case with our system).
When looking at the VM memory consumption, we could see an increasing memory consumption.
Whenever we manually triggered a “big garbage-collection” most of this was freed again.
The problem is that the default Garbage Collection Settings seem to have problems with circular
references. Memory, which is not accessible, is not freed because of this. We could have solved
this by tweaking the GC settings of the VM, but we got rid of the problems by using the BEA
Jrockit VM instead (I knew this would work and I didn’t want to dig into all the switches
an leavers of the sun GC)

   Hope this helps.

   Regards,
               Christofer

   [ c h r i s t o f e r   d u t z ]

   IT-Berater
   univativ GmbH & Co. KG
   Robert-Bosch-Str. 7, 64293 Darmstadt

   fon: 0 61 51 / 66 717 - 21
   fax: 0 61 51 / 66 717 - 29
   email: christofer.dutz@univativ.de
   http://www.univativ.de

   Darmstadt, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Düsseldorf