cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Gustavo N. Fernandes" <gustav...@terra.com.br>
Subject RES: [GT2006] Call for IDEAS! The 5th Cocoon GetTogether: October 2nd to 4th in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 14:18:32 GMT
Hi, here are some things that would make me travel to Amsterdam  ;)

1) Cocoon application framework:

Cocoon is made of several powerful components: flow, binding, xsp,
jxtemplate, cforms, authentication, portal,etc. One might feel "lost" among
all these technologies. Commercial web applications almost always have
requisites as login, authorization, menu, form processing, templating,
integration with backends (database). How does Cocoon provide these
requisites? Going further, how to create a "typical" project that implements
those requisites with cocoon, regarding sitemap hierarchy and organization,
class model, deployment, artifacts, where do flows scripts must go, etc?
Case studies showing large web applications would be interesting.

2) Cocoon for 'non-java' professionals and Cocoon project management

How productive a junior developer or a non-java developer can be with
cocoon? At first glance, cocoon offers cforms, binding and flow, that
requires little training in order to start producing. What are the required
knowledge in order to hire a professional that should work in a cocoon
project, taking in account the 'area' that this professional will work in
the project (layout, business object, forms)? Since the first version,
Cocoon offered separation of concerns. Does that works in real world?
How does cocoon reduces the risk on building large projects with large
teams?

3) The performance myth

Since the beginning several people that consider using cocoon in a project
feel a bit disconfortable with the fact that whatever cocoon does, it needs
to parse and transform lots of XML. I personally think that cocoon does well
in production systems, but it might be interesting to hear:

- A little background on cocoon performance. In what ways does cocoon
evolved thru time that cause a performance gain
- How to tweak Cocoon in order to extract from it more performance when
needed. That could range from best practices to Avalon configuration.
- Real numbers on cocoon performance, real hardware and real deployment
topology (load balancing, session replication)
- A caching tour. How can I use caching effectively and what can I cache
- Measuring performance. How can I know at what speed my cocoon site is
running?

4) Tooling

Cocoon developers deals with a myriad of technologies: Java itself,
javascript, xml, cforms, jxtemplate. What are the tools that can help short
development time?
Is there some code generation tools around? Is MDA tools are available, in
order to generate round trip engineering on some cocoon artifacts?
Going further, what are the tools that can help testing and monitoring
cocoon application ?

5) The future

What does the future reserves to Cocoon? I heard that Cocoon will be Spring
based in the future, also read that Lepido is dead. A Cocoon roadmap
explained would be interesting. What are the major changes that Cocoon will
suffer? In what direction things like flow and cforms are going? What are
the blocks that will be deprecated soon? What are the new ones?

4) AJAX, AJAX and AJAX!

Best regards,
Gustavo Fernandes