cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is using Cocoon a good idea?
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:21:50 GMT
On 6/22/06, Gnatz, Michael <Michael.Gnatz@pentasys.de> wrote:

> ...XSLT might be nice for small applications, but  it does not scale up. So in general
template matching  is a misconception for larger applications, in my opinion at least...

My experience after seeing quite a lot of XSLT in various companies is
that very often people write way too complicated things. Many people
jump right in without studying the basic principles of XSLT, and end
up writing procedural code with lots of xsl:if and xsl:choice where
it's not needed and gets in the way.

I've often reduced the size of customers XSLT's by a factor of 5 to 10
(which usually also makes them several times faster) just by applying
the basic principles and especially using the full power of XPath in
pattern matching.

So I wouldn't be as affirmative as you are - XSLT is a very good
tool...but, as all tools, especially when it's used in the right
places and with the right training.

Of course, this doesn't help you much if you've inherited a bunch of
badly-written code...

-Bertrand