cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Stevens" <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Flowscript file permissions on mkdir - pls help!
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 13:13:41 GMT
>From: Dan Hertz <dan@danhertz.com>
>Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:45:14 -0600
>
>Thanks for helping me out, Gianugo. I'm not sure I follow though -- is
>umask not meant to *subtract* values, in other words, 0777 - 002 = 0775.

Yes, that's right.

>But if my system default (set by the ISP) is 0755, how do I use umask to
>*bump it up* to 0775?

If it's 0755, that'll be because you're currently using a umask of 022,
possibly set in some system-wide default configuration file.  You won't be
using a user-specific umask to "bump it up", rather you'll be overriding
their default with a user-specific value of 002, so that's what will be
subtracted from the 777 instead.

One other quirk, though it shouldn't affect you in this case, is that files
start with 666 rather than 777, so it's impossible to create an executable
file (you have to explicity chmod it after creation to make it executable).
And, strictly speaking, the mask isn't subtracted but it does a logical
"and" with the complement of the umask (so 666 with a umask of 003 gives 664
not 663...)  But that's just being pedantic ;-)

>Daniel
>
>PS I'm a Windows guy, so please bear with me...

Some of these[1] may help.

Andrew.

[1] http://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=umask%20default%20unix%20permissions