cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Steven D. Majewski" <sd...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: How to extract image, audio and video metadata from media files in Cocoon?
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 19:30:13 GMT

On Jun 7, 2006, at 12:15 PM, Jonas Lundberg wrote:

> I see... I was hoping that this was a common operation, and that
> someone had already made a solution. Anyone?
>
> Regards
> Hans

ImageDirectoryGenerator only extracts a very limited set of info from
image files
   ( and I *think*, from a brief look at util/ImageUtils.java, only
for GIFS and JPEGS. )
It doesn't look like it does any EXIF info or other metadata.

MP3DirectoryGenerator only works for MP3's -- not other audio formats
supported.

Phil Harvey's ExifTool <http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/>
is pretty much a universal metadata extractor, but it's written in Perl.
It would be nicer to have something similar to ExifTool in Java, but
unfortunately,
Drew Noakes  Java EXIF/metadata-extractor library <http://
www.drewnoakes.com/code/exif/>
is the closest I could find. ( doesn't look like it does audio or
movie file formats. )

Looking at the source for the DirectoryGenerators, it doesn't look
like it would be
too difficult ( at the cost of an external process ) to generate the
metadata with
ExifTool, and output it as SAX events to the pipeline.  But, if
you're going to ingest
these files on upload to a database, then maybe it makes more sense
to just
generate the metadata once and convert it to XML.

-- Steve Majewski